Saturday 28 June 2014

The Maps


So the first thing I needed to do was to pick which set of resources I wanted to work with.  The British Library provided us with some wonderful maps that made it very difficult to decide between them.  The library trip, which I thought would help my decision, actually made it harder because it turned out to be quite inspirational.  I was able to eliminate The Masque of the Red Death while I was at the library but the other two themes had plenty of arguments for picking one over the other.

So as I mentioned in my previous post, there were a selection of asset packs that we could download, which we needed to use as our inspiration; one for Fonthill Abbey, one for The Masque of the Red Death and one for Whitby.  I originally downloaded all three (together with the sounds that have been made available) so I could decide which to use.

I have come to a decision as to which one I'll be working with and the choice I've made is Whitby (quite obvious given the name of this blog).  As you may have guessed from the previous post, I'm looking to create something that includes gameplay, as games development is my chosen field.  Though Fonthill Abbey would have given me a better opportunity to concentrate on modelling a small area in great detail, the restriction in size made designing fun or interesting game elements very difficult.  Whitby on the other hand, despite being a whole town, will provide me with a better opportunity to re-use art assets more often, thus reducing the workload and subsequently allowing me to make something in the short time I have left.

Another inspiration was this video by The British Library that provided information about Whitby and some of the aspects they might like to see in one of the entries.  I particularly like the idea of Bram Stoker's Dracula, given the horror theme of this year's competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment